The smell of home baked cookies is possibly one of the most alluring smells that can waft from any kitchen. Good cookies are super easy to bake and I like mine best with a crisp outer layer and that warm cookie-goo in the centre. The recipe below makes about 21 cookies and they hold up pretty well too when stored in an air tight cookie jar, or in my case, a cake tin.
You Will Need:
- 125g softened butter
- 100g soft, light, brown sugar
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 225g self-raising flour
- A dash of salt
- 200g chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate)
What You Need To Do:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Line a baking tray or two with grease proof/parchment paper. Do not grease this paper.
- When the oven is heating up, get your butter and both sugars creamed together in a mixing bowl. I refuse to use a food processor for this type of cooking (cakes and cookies etc, as I feel prouder of the result after putting in some elbow grease!)
- Once creamed together, add the egg and vanilla into the mixture and combine.
- Sift in the flour and salt and continue to stir. This is the part where you might wish you used a food processor but push through – it is worth it!
- Add the chocolate chips into the cookie dough.
- Use a spoon to scoop up walnut size balls and splat them on to your lined baking tray.
- I could not decide whether to splat or roll this time so I tried both. I prefer splatting as it makes the biscuits more ‘cookie’ like on the top when baked.
- Put the cookies in the oven for 7-9 minutes until they are just starting to harden and go golden around the edges.
- Take the cookies out of the oven and leave them to harden up for a few minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack or plate.
Cookies will often only harden when they are out of the oven and should not be cooked until they are completely hard. You will be waiting a while and the cookies will not taste good!
I would really like to try triple chocolate cookies next or maybe shortbread. What are your favourite biscuits to make?